Royal People

A dedication to those wonderful people who served Royal Primary School & Royal College, in Sri Lanka, since 1835, and, who will be remembered for their committment, sincerety and unselfishness.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

New Monia!

Spelling at Royal

1960, 2nd form 2B, I think. Pol Tokka, Lionel Samararatna, was our English Teacher. Spelling and Dictation was his specialty.

Allan Ebert was on my left I forget the name of the Tamil chap who sat on my right side. The killer word for the day was Pneumonia. I was very poor in my spelling and wrote "New Monia" and showed the chap on the right. He nodded his head as if to indicate OK. As he had a hidden smile, I showed Allan Ebert who almost dropped dead. Then, like the good chap he is, he showed me the proper spelling. I soon copied it carefully and gave the book to Quarter Soda who was collecting the books for Pol Toks.

The following day, marked books were given back, the only correct word was pneumonia. Tamil chap had written Newmonia!!!

I am sure Allan must have forgotten this episode. But it stuck to me like glue.

Edward Hapuarachchi
May 12 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home